There we sit around the sparkly tree in the morning, eyeing the ribbons and bows and dumping out our stockings–My father, mother, brothers, me and the dog. I open a present, then my mother, my brother Paul, then my mother, my brother Andrew, then my mother again… and so the pattern goes until she is drowning in wrapping paper and gifts galore. Every year she complains about getting too many presents, telling us to save our pennies but every year nothing changes. And I hope it never does.
So who “loses?” My father. Mostly because anything he wants or needs he buys himself and anything we do get him, he returns.
HOW TO MAKE EASY CUPCAKE DECORATING FOR CHRISTMAS
Easy Chocolate Cupcakes:
1box Devil’s Food cake mix
1/2C.oil or melted butter
1C.buttersoftened (or 1/2 C. butter and 8 oz. cream cheese)
food coloringif needed
peppermint extractif needed (great for the “green” frostings)
mini M&M’s, Rolos or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Red fruit leather strips (Fruit by the Foot), or any other candies you want!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, oil, sour cream, milk and vanilla extract together.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
7. Depending on which decoration you want to do, follow the photo instructions below!